Was I in for a subliminal
punishment after publishing yesterday’s post?
Last night I picked the kiddos
up from school, went to the market where we had dinner and stocked up on a few
necessities, and headed to gymnastics. My
aunt met me there to watch Tessa for the first time. Brady was a trooper for the first half hour
but then started to fuss. I rocked him
to sleep and put him in the car seat for the remainder of the class. After Tessa was done, we stayed a bit to chat
with my aunt and the other mothers/kids and then left for the twenty minute
drive home. Within minutes of unpacking
the car I noticed Brady was really red and then he started crying…the painful
type of cry. I took an axillary temperature
and it was 104.0. I was in shock and
actually questioned whether the thermometer was working properly. I had never seen his temperature that high
and the fact that it got so high so quickly was bothersome as he wasn’t feeling
warm while we were at gymnastics. I took
a rectal temperature just to make sure and it was 105.2. I called my aunt and asked if she would drive
over to watch Tessa. I got her ready for
bed, gave Brady some medicine, and packed a bag for him as well. About an hour later I had us at the Children’s
Hospital. Even with medicine, Brady’s
temp was still at 103 when we checked in.
He was given an IV and they did blood work. We were able to rule out another ear infection
and the doctor felt comfortable it wasn’t his kidneys either…whew. In fact, it was looking viral which meant
there wasn’t much they could do for him.
I was given an option to have him stay overnight or take him home and
follow-up with the doctor in the morning.
(We had pre-tube physicals scheduled for both Tessa and Brady today). I decided he would have a better opportunity
for sleep at home so I started packing up our things. Right before we left the nurse did another
set of vitals and the fever was back over 105.
They gave him another round of medication and I continued with my
original plan. I got home and put Brady
to sleep. It was around 1:00am. He was up again at 2:20am and the fever was
reading as high as my thermometer goes.
I took him downstairs to our living room, opened his pjs up, put some
cool compresses on him, and gave him some more medicine. I laid down next to him and shortly thereafter
he was settled down and asleep. I took
him to his crib and he slept until the morning.
I was up at five (less than two hours later) to check on him again and
at that point I just decided to get ready for the day.
David came home around 7:30am, I
left for work, and he got the kids ready for the doctor. Tessa’s physical went great. After much talk with the pediatrician we are
going to move forward with her tubes and the tonsillectomy. This will hopefully allow her to sleep
better, the risk and recovery is so much lower the younger she is, we have
approval of multiple doctors and the insurance companies, and most importantly
it should help her health and her brother’s during this upcoming winter
season. Many prayers for Thursday (we
know I will be a mess).
Brady will not be having tubes on Thursday.
He was still running a fever at the appointment and was also diagnosed
with hand, foot, and mouth. How the
doctor missed this last night in the ER (especially when I mentioned that it
was going around their school) I will never know. Needless to say they will be receiving a
phone call from me…and probably a letter.
Yes, I am that mom.
Another day, another adventure…with
lots of coffee. Now let’s just hope
Tessa stays healthy for the next two days or I very well may lose my marbles.







No comments:
Post a Comment